HOW TO GET INTO A FASHION SHOW FOR FREE

PART 2: THE CLOSING NIGHT SHOW (14th Sept 2018)

Basically this is a story about how I went from being a volunteer at the Closing Night of a fashion show to sitting in the front row of the show flanked by talented individuals on either side of me. This is a follow on from Part 1 of my experiences attending a fashion show for the first time - you can find that post here.

(Let me start off by saying that I had NO intention to get into a fashion show for free. It kinda just fell in my lap. An opportunistic moment in time led me to this unforgettable experience)

All tickets were sold out.

7.00am:
I went to Facebook to find any sellers, there was one that was selling 2 tickets. I spent an hour scouring my Perth friends list to see if anyone was free. No one was.

11.00am:
I get a call from one of the show organisers that I'd contacted a month ago to volunteer at one of the shows. He tells me he needs volunteers tonight and for me to turn up at 6.00pm and ask for him.

4.30pm:
I rush home, wear some comfy clothes, do my makeup and Uber it to the venue.

5.30pm:
I ask around for the guy, some of the people working there know him but don't know where he is. They tell me to wait.

6.30pm:
I've been messaging, calling and leaving voicemails but am getting no response. At this point I've been sitting in the 'entertainment area' by myself for a while. I felt pathetic and useless because I was essentially just loitering - not even being able to enjoy myself. I didn't know anyone there so I ended up messaging my new blogger friend that I'd met from the Ae'lkemi show, Jo.

7.00pm:
She arrived! And I had a friend! She introduced me to all these other very successful, very empowering women. I was kind of a little worried and didn't want to impose on their friendship group thing but at the same time I was grateful that I was able to have conversation with them :). 

9.00pm:
Eventually, the time had come for the show to begin! I was fully panicking. The guy that has asked me to volunteer was still not there...I asked one of the FOH organisers whether he'd come or not and he said that he hadn't but if there was a spare seat available, I'd be able to sit in it!!!!! So then I played the waiting game. Jo and her friends had made their way to their seats and I was left at the entrance waiting.

9.30pm + on:
Literally everyone is seated at this point and I finally get called upon by the FOH guy and he palms me off to this very fashionable looking woman. She exclaims that she absolutely LOVES my blazer and I'm here thinking "thanks? this is from Aliexpress lols". She walks me DOWN THE RUNWAY in front of everyone and lo and behold who do I see with a spare seat next to her in the front row?! JO GOH! She's equally as surprised to see me. The fashionable lady let's me sit next to Jo and introduces me to this guy on the other side of my seat. I don't catch what she says but we shake hands and I get seated. Once she's left, I ask him and his friend what she said and they let me know that she introduced me as an Indonesian Fashion Designer! HAHAHAHAHA. BRO. I'M SHOOKETH. So at this point, I'm sitting next to Jo on my right and Marc Early (a musician) on my left followed by Daniel Romanin (the designer behind One Fell Swoop). WUT WUTTTTT?! How did this happen? How did my life go from no-kay to woah-kay?!

The show began and it was phenomenal. Every. Part. Of. It. Just being in the front row and witnessing the blur of colours and textures fly past you was a whirlwind of adventure.




At the end of the Closing Night, an area of the room was sectioned off for a VIP party. Now, I had no ticket and no wrist band. But my new friends smuggled me in and the night was spent talking about the mysteriously blessed outcome of my night. The girls I met were not only forward thinkers but they were also religious. The last thing I was expecting to talk about at an after party was religious talk and yet we did and it was amazing.

Dress: Ecstasy (Bangladesh)
Scarf: Somewhere in Bangladesh lols
Pants: Somewhere in Bangladesh lols
Blazer: (YOU GUESSED IT) Aliexpress

I really don't know how I found myself in that position. But I did learn that, you must make the most of every opportunity that comes your way. Seize it and make your own destiny. If it presents itself, make the effort to follow through with it. It's crazy knowing that if I were still living at home, I would never have stepped outside the walls of my gilded safe haven. I hope this helps you step out of yours too.

much love,
Afra

Comments

Popular Posts